Saturday, July 30, 2022

in which Things Keep Happening

Right, so, where were we?

My mother died two months ago. This is good news in that her passing was peaceful and lovingly attended, she is finally free of dementia, and perhaps, if you believe in such things, reunited with my dad. It also means moving on, emotionally. Lots to process. 

Robin loves film school at NYU, has a very cool summer internship, moved to an East Village walkup, and the world is basically her oyster. Summer in New York being what it is, it probably smells like an oyster a lot of the time too. I'll say this for Cape Cod: as gross as summer gets here, it's grosser everywhere else. 

Josie wrapped up high school like a boss and will head to the University of Rochester next month to major in Physics and Astronomy. In the meantime she's working in a lab down the hall from Aaron's, so they commute together. 

I'm gleefully tuning out of all things school-related. Remove! Delete! Unsubscribe! Gonna merge the middle and high schools, you say? Go right ahead! Settle right back into that well-worn comfort zone people call "pretty good." Nobody wants our schools to be average, but it sure looks like nobody cares if they're not outstanding, either. So be it.

I just left my job as assistant to an older lady I thought very highly of indeed, because her family were stealing from her and generally treating her so badly I just couldn't be around it any more. The only thing that felt worse than leaving would have been staying. Heartbreaking.

So, lots of chapters ending, new ones waiting to be written. How do you decide what to do with the rest of your life? 

2 comments:

  1. I decided that I am not perfect, a friend of mine used to tell me that I was no box of chocolate but I was all right and I’m trying to help wherever I can knowing that I’m going to screw up, badly in some instances, I will lose my temper, I will feel guilty but I’m going to try and enjoy some part of every day even in the most Mundane task.Sorry to read of your mother, missed your comment that you deleted, no need to delete it wouldn’t have bothered me to read any criticism. Packer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Realizing I'm going to screw things up but keep trying has been a central life lesson.

    ReplyDelete